MPU is honored to host future Health Information Professionals for their Professional Practice Experience (PPE). The students bring great energy and have such a great thirst for knowledge. MPU began hosting PPEs last year. Since that time, we have hired two interns and one intern has advanced very quickly at his current place of employment. Our 2015 interns were students from Southwestern Oklahoma State University. MPU had the honor of hosting their Specialty Week from March 16th-20th, 2015.
- Reviewing commercial and governmental coding denials and initiates the appeal process, when applicable, working closely with the Revenue Integrity denials management team.
- Reviewing coding compliance concerns as related to National Coverage Determinations and Local Coverage Determinations and initiates staff education on such matters as necessary.
- Performing quality assurance and training audits to support coding staff.
- Providing on-going training and education to coding staff.
- Reporting statistics concerning coding accuracy levels.
- Assigning DRG's proficiently for high case mix index facilities and analyzes documentation for appropriate severity of illness and risk of mortality reporting.
- Completing an analysis of documentation, abstracting and code assignment by body system, organ, etiology and morphology according to the American Hospital Association Official ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 Coding Guidelines (Coding Clinic), CPT4/HCPCS Coding Guidelines, ASC groups, UHDDS Guidelines, HCFA methodology guidelines for coding, state and federal guidelines and hospital abstracting guidelines
- Coding any type of record, inpatient and outpatient including Rehab, Skilled Nursing, outpatient, ER, outpatient procedure, observation, recurring and any other records that required ICD-9, ICD-10 or CPT codes.
Josh is a graduate of Ohio State University. Josh is now an Associate Recruiter for the HIM division at MedPartners.
Josh originally met the MedPartners’ group at the AHIMA show in Atlanta in 2013 as a student attendee while in my last year at Ohio State University. After speaking with a few of the employees, including Renii, it automatically occurred to him that this would be a great company to intern with for his 6-week internship before his May 2014 graduation. Josh was instantly hooked by MedPartners’ determination to make everyone feel welcome and valued as an individual. After completing his internship March-April of 2014 with MedPartners as the first student from Ohio State to ever be with this company, he soaked up every bit of information as he learned the HIM staffing world and how much our Education Division correlates with the business as a whole. After completing the internship, Josh was offered a Recruiter position with the HIM Division and accepted without hesitation. Josh is a recruiter who oversees skilled IP and OP coders for almost 10 months now. Josh is excited to see the transformation of the healthcare industry moving forward, especially with the (hopeful) ICD-10 implementation, and to know that MedPartners is a major factor in this transition!
Beth is a graduate from St. Petersburg College. Beth is now the Blackboard Administrator for MedPartners University in Tampa, FL.
As the Blackboard Administrator, Beth’s supports more than 600 Blackboard users for our Learning Management System (LMS). She monitors user progress and login attempts in addition to reporting user progress to recruiter. She is instrumental in performing training and education regarding the uses of Blackboard Learn in addition to hosting client orientation for MP consultants. She provides advanced technical support for consultants for our LMS. She also assists installation of all system updates, upgrades, building blocks, and other software integrated with Blackboard Learn and collaborates with the Director of Education to establish system defaults, policies and procedures, and strategic plans for system use and expansion.
Beth is an active member of FHIMA, Gulf Coast.
Jennifer’s plans to take her RHIA credentialing exam in April 2015 and obtain her CTR by 2018. Her opportunities of interest while at MedPartners were cancer/tumor registry, coding and auditing.
Shyanne’s plans to take her RHIA credentialing exam in April 2015 and will graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Health Information Management and Health Care Administration. Her opportunities of interest while at MedPartners were coding and auditing.