Remote Trauma Registrar
Job Title: Trauma Registrar
Department: Trauma Program
The Trauma Registrar is responsible for the trauma registry database including patient inclusion identification, data abstraction, management and report production to identify trauma center process improvement trends, and injury prevention needs. Trauma Registrars work in collaboration with the Trauma Program Manager, using the trauma database to support process improvement activities throughout the trauma continuum, which encompasses all areas and disciplines of the hospital that participates in the care of injured patients. Trauma Registrars are responsible for identification and review of select cases for Peer Review/Trauma Conference, maintain validation of the trauma database according to department policy and actively participate in report and documentation preparation for American College of Surgeons and/or State Site Surveys.
- Job Specific Duties
- Current job tasks expected of a Trauma Registrar:
- ) Prioritizes task and projects based on immediacy, comments from Manager and workload to ensure time frames are met. Monitors progress on assigned workloads for efficiency in completion and reports deficiencies to Manager.
- ) Participates actively in maintaining the integrity of the trauma registry by collecting, coding and abstracting data for the registry. Reviews each trauma chart and completes all appropriate collection forms. Demonstrates individual accountability for trauma data collection.
- ) Collects and monitors data entry and results on trauma patients for concurrent review of care. Assists with follow-up review on problems identified during trauma care critiques and documents action taken when requested. Reviews 100% of trauma charts for patients who are transferred to other facilities. Reviews 100% of trauma charts admitted to the trauma center.
- ) Participates in hospital wide trauma education and support services as related to data collection / registry needs.
- ) Supplies Trauma Services "Data Request" Forms to person or group requesting data/reports through the registry. Reviews request for clarification if needed and inform Trauma Program Manager and or Trauma Medical Director of request. Assists with project, report, and research or data analysis, upon approval of request.
- ) Prepares and submits all data required by the local State Trauma Registry on a scheduled basis. Ensures that all data collection is complete accurate prior to compilation or submitting of any reports from the Trauma Registry system.
- ) Monitors effectiveness and efficiency of current software and hardware.
- ) Recommends opportunities for improvement. Supports staff attendance at educational offerings on PIPS process and PIPS team meetings. Compiles and records accurate and reliable data in accordance with criteria. Incorporates findings into practice to improve patient outcomes.
- ) Maintains current knowledge of trauma care data collection via literature review and trauma registry/Registrar conferences.
- ) Registry:
- ) Patient Identification
- ) Data Abstraction
- ) Coding & Scoring
- ) Data Entry
- ) Data Validation
- ) Data Reporting
- ) PIPS:
- ) Identification of audit filters during case abstraction