Remote Pro Fee Surgical Coder
The Surgical Coder reviews, analyzes, and codes professional/physician medical record documentation to include, but not limited to, medical diagnostic and procedural information for various practices. This coder works collaboratively with surgeons to ensure the accuracy of the code sets on the surgical case.
Priority of the 4 FTE we are seeking.
- 1 FTE for Orthopedic
- 1 FTE for Cardiovascular
- 1 FTE for Dermatology
- 1 FTE for (primarily GI with willingness to learn Pulmonary if not already familiar)
Additional Experience and/or Qualifications: (Has Achieved Competency in the Following Areas, Job Knowledge and Additional Considerations):
Knowledge of professional/physician coding rules for specialized surgical professionals. Experience with National Correct Coding Initiative edits (NCCI), National Coverage Determinations (NCD), Local Coverage Determinations (LCD), and Outpatient coding guidelines for official coding and reporting. In-depth knowledge of medical terminology, surgical procedures, disease processes, patient health record content and the medical record coding process. Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques related to compliant healthcare billing/collections. Knowledge of coding and billing requirements for services furnished in a teaching settings. Knowledge of coding and billing requirements for provider based billing facilities. Ability to work independently in a teleworking environment, to organize/prioritize work, exercise excellent communication skills, is attentive to detail, demonstrate follow through skills and maintain a positive attitude.
- Complex surgical procedures, i.e., brachial plexus, complex tendon transfers, multiligament reconstructions, etc
- Codes most of the following procedures - Heart valve procedures, Congenital heart procedures, CABG, Aneurysm repairs (open and endovascular), Heart/lung transplants, Pacemaker/defibrillators, Lung resections/procedures, Esophagectomies, Hernia repairs, Bypass graft procedures, Cath placements, Endovenous ablations, Thrombectomies/Embolectomies/Thromboendarterectomies, Endovascular revascularization procedures
- Prefer 2 years dermatology procedure coding experience. Mohs, destructions, lesion removals, sutures, laceration repairs, cryotherapy
- GI and Pulm
- GI - Advanced endoscopy, Colonoscopy, EGD, ERCP, Esophagoscopy, Pouchendoscopy, ESD, EMR, POEM, TORE, EDGE, EUS, Fundliplications, Esophageal Acid Reflux Tests, Bravo, Esophageal function test, Breath hydrogen or methane test, Anorectal Manometry, Esophageal Motility
- Pulm experience is a plus- Ablations, Alveolar Lavage, Aspiration, Balloon Occlusion, Biopsy, Dilation, EBUS, Fiducial Marker Placement, Stents, Valves
Associate's Degree required; Bachelor's Degree preferred. Minimum of 3 years of physician/professional surgical coding experience.
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist - Physician (CCS-P) or a coding credential of a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) required. Languages: English Read Write Speak Certifications & Licenses: Certified Coding Specialist Certified Professional Coder RHIA RHIT